Saturday, July 18, 2015

One last post from the airport

Hello senders!

We are so grateful for the Lord's provision over our trip as we currently sit in the airport waiting to board our flight back to Boston. God is SO good and His mercies are new each day. I believe the Lord has spoken to each of us and chosen different moments throughout our time in Jackson to move and challenges us each differently. I have asked each member of our team to share something that has spoken to them this week, and look forward to what they will share with you below:

Marcel: "At lunch this week we had the opportunity to hear John Perkins speak to us about reconciliation. One thing he spoke about that stuck out to me that there is only one race. The human race needs to come together and forgive and sing a song of love."

Micah: "John Perkins also said the solution is grace and truth. Heaven's grace is needed to have repentance and mutual forgiveness between whites and blacks. People need to see the truth that there is one race, under one God, and we are all sinners."

Matt: "Thursday night we served dinner at Gateway Rescue Mission in Jackson. This experience challenged me because we saw so many men in their program with such tough stories but with such a strong faith in God."

Allie: Amy Lancaster is one of the founders of We will Go ministries in West Jackson. It was really interesting to see the new way that they worshipped it was a very moving experience because it was outdoors amongst God's creation, and we heard so many testimonies by people who had been moved by God in big ways.

Jessie: "three homes right around the corner from Bobbye and Greg's house were very run down, and it is believed there is illegal activity that goes on there. I was encouraged during this trip as I saw one of the renters of those homes start to take pride in where he lived by having wood delivered and beginning to rebuild a portion of his home during our time there. I was more encouraged this year than last year because we are able to see the finished product of our labor throughout the week at Bobbye & Greg's home."

Kerry: "I was very encouraged this year as I watched our students step out in faith and new ways. I look forward to sharing with you more of what the Lord has done in August during our time of sharing, but for right now I will just share one brief story about Micah. During our time at Gateway Rescue Mission I told students once they were done serving to go and sit with the men in the program and speak with them. I watched Micah engage with a man sitting all by himself, and the most moving point of the evening was watching Micah pray with this man. I'm grateful for the way this week I witnessed each of our students live out the gospel and share God's truth with all the interacted with."

Kathy: "On Saturday morning we served with We will Go Ministries and on Sunday afternoon we are part of their 10th anniversary celebration service. One gentleman who shared encouraged us to not only be available for others, but also be interruptible for them. I am a planner and like to be organize my time--I hate interruptions! However Jesus was interruptible all the time. He always had time for people. I'm challenged to be joyfully interruptible."

Joel: "We were very blessed to hear from Dr. Perkins multiple times this week, so there's a lot that I could speak about in his discussions with us. One thing that I will share that stuck out with me with his charge to be doers and not just thinkers. As an illustration, he used a story of a bodybuilder who used his muscles not to lift heavy objects, but to simply flex. Many Christian simply "flex" their knowledge of Scripture and their biblical way of living, but do not go out and do what we are called to do (feed the hungry, help the needy, make disciples, etc.)."

Levi: "it was amazing to hear from people who stepped out in faith, putting themselves into communities to build relationships with the homeless, the addicted, and the outcasts. There were three statements this week that I found particularly challenging; what does following Jesus look like in our lives (Amy Lancaster); We do not get to choose who is saved (Amy and Dave Lancaster); and We have benefited from the sin of the world and therefore we are willing to tolerate certain sin (Dr. Perkins). Each of these in a different way challenged me to look at how I live."

With full hearts & tired eyes,

The 2015 Jackson Team





No comments:

Post a Comment